This is something I make at home, freeze and then cook when camping, you could try and make them while your away, but I usually take these when I have an open fire / BBQ.
They are great for snacks when sat around chilling on an evening talking / playing games.
Ingredients for 8
If there are more of less of you, just alter the numbers to match.
A tip I learnt many years ago in the Scouts, with your cocktail sticks if you soak them in cold water for about 30 mins to an hour it helps to prevent burning.
- Put the crackers in a food bag and smash up into tiny pieces (I find using a rolling pin helpful). Put to one side for now
- Remove the sausage meat from the skins and mix in a large bowl. Break up any chunks with a fork.
- Add the mince, the onion, the herbs and the broken up crackers as well as the egg.
- Mix together
- Form the mixture into small balls, the size of normal meat balls (or size of a golf ball).
- If making at home I freeze here and defrost at the campsite
- Spear each meatball with a cocktail stick
- Cook them on in a frying pan / open fire until cooked through (about 10 minutes)
These are a great snack on an evening sat around a campfire.
If all this sounds like too much work, you can simply buy pre made meatballs and just spear them with cocktail sticks and cook.